Re: San Diego Weather Report

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: San Diego Weather Report
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 14:02:56 -0400
Jeff,

check your thermostat! If it does not open you are not getting any coolant into
the secondary cycle and consequently no heat. I usually rely on the heater as
an indicator for cooling system condition. If there is no heat something
serious is wrong.
I am not sure what you have done so far, but this to check/do include:
- bypass the heater control valve
- make sure no hoses are bent, blocking flow
- enough coolant in system (there should always be some coolant in the bottle
in front of the radiator)
- is the spring in your radiator cap weak? If so the pressure level in the
system is too low
- One possibility to check the thermostat, is to heat up the car, then take off
the radiator cap (caution hot!!!!) and see if there is flow in the radiator
(flow = good, no flow = bad)

Hope this helps,
Marcus

>>> "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com> 4/3/00 13:25:12 >>>

Back to the overheating temps at idle.  If you recall, I mentioned that my
heater wasn't working -- no heat.  A few listers suggested that I do a
reverse flush of the heater core, which I haven't had the chance to do yet.
Do you suppose these problems are related somehow?  Also, during regular
driving, the temp doesn't rise above the mid point at all.  If you look at
your temp guages (at least on the <Mk3 spits), there are two little dots on
the bottom of the guage in the center.  I seem to hover around the first dot
during normal driving.