Re: Not the oil sensor...

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Not the oil sensor...
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 13:17:45 -0400
ktkenyon@netzero.net wrote:

> Laura, I had a Fram implode on a stock 1500 with 220K miles!

I was in the local NAPA store yesterday grubbing around for this and
that, and there was this oil filter display on the counter.  Two
filters: Fram on the left, the other brand (don't remember what) on the
right, and the display said to pick them up and compare.

I did-- the cans came right off to reveal the innards.  The Fram... wow,
what a P.o.S.!  It's almost entirely cardboard-- THIN cardboard!!!

Somewhere on the web there are a couple of really good oil filter
comparison pages.  (One was down for a few months as a mfr. was
temporarily successful at intimidating the author, but it's back up the
last I heard.)  Bottom line: Fram = junk.  Recommended were Wix and AC
Delco.
--
Douglas Frank  Compaq Computer Corp.  Friendship, n.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.     A ship big enough to carry two in