exhaust pipes - long and heated!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: exhaust pipes - long and heated!
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:04:15 -0600
Just had a verbal run-in with a local muffler shop, with the result I'll
be getting my $75 plus taxes back on Friday.

The story goes: I had the exhaust off my '71 MK IV to repair the diff.
I thought "while I'm at it, I'll take this to a muffler shop and see if
they can make 2, one for the MK IV, and one for the 1500 I'm building.
Save a second trip.'

So I went to a shop, asked if they could supply new pipes.  Catalogue
says Not Available.  OK, he says, no problem, using yours as a pattern,
I'll make you two pipes for $75 each.  He assured me they'd fit.   He
assured me several times they'd fit.

So I left the pipe, he was to have them done in 4 hours.  One day leter
I went back and he was just finishing up!  I paid for them and left. Oh
did say he assured me they'd fit?

Tried all weekend to get it to fit, so went back with muffler and both
pipes and asked him to do it.  He cut it, welded it, did whatever but
got it to fit, installed it and charged me $75 (plus taxes of course).
I had expected he'd take the opportunity to make both fit at the same
time, but no, as he said "it ain't gonna happen".

I was pretty upset, but paid up.  I find it best to go home, cool off
and put details in writing then confront them when calm.

So today I asked what he could do about it - offering him 4 options.
His reply was he'd 'charge me the same to install the other one too".
He didn't seem to differentiate between "make it fit' and install it.
So I opted to get a refund which he agreed to.

Now looking in catalogues I find Moss sells a Mk IV pipe (pn862-100) for
$42.75.  VicBrit sells the same piece(pn6-026) for $74.94 list and
$59.95 on sale.

Any ideas why so cheap?  Are they boltable fit?  Any experiences with
either?

I won't be going back to this character, so checked with another shop
and they priced it at about $68 to make a pipe.  I'd install.  He also
assured me it would fit!

Also, original pipe diameter is shown as 1 5/8".  But modern pipe here
is only available in 1 3/4".  That means the muffler doesn't fit cause
its made for 1 5/8".

Appreciate advice,
Cheers, Fred

--