Re: Clicking wheels

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clicking wheels
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:46:46 EDT
Sorry if I'm jumping into this thread late and repeating something already
suggested but I had a similar symptom - only getting a clicking sound
under strong decleration/acceleration/braking.  I also got it when hitting a
sizable bump.  I was convinced that it was a bushing, but it turned out
to be a seized - not worn - u-joint.  It appears that since it was seized,
there was only limited motion, maybe only in one "plane" instead of
both, and only the force of stronger acceleration/decleration/braking
would shift it and cause a click. At least, this is my theory based on
the broken spider, u-joint caps, needle bearings and pieces of axle
flange that I picked up off the road when it finally got bad enough
and failed completely (see my post of last Saturday).

I have no idea how you could test this while in place.

On the plus side, I now have 3 good u-joints in my car for the first
time in memory, temporarily no doubt, but no noise or vibration, hurrah!

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire