Jaguar S type (somewhat long)

To: "'spitfires'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Jaguar S type (somewhat long)
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:51:20 -0400
As I said in an earlier post, I just returned to work after a
two day road trip. A coworker and I made a trip from Dearborn,
Michigan to Chicago. While the purpose of the trip is of no or
little interest to either list, the vehicle we drove is. We
had the use of a 2000 Jaguar S Type.

For the Spit list: I would rather have driven the Spit, the
weather was nice enough that we would have appreciated it.

However, as a road report on the S Type: It is a nice car,
comfortable, although a little cramped. This car had the
4.0 V8 in it, and would get up and move. The short time that
I had the opportunity to drive, I found that it was harder
to get into than the Spit, in fact when I finally got into
the seat, I found that my foot was caught under the brake
pedal. It had the optional GPS and graphic display for maps
and directions. This was a nice toy, but I sure wouldn't
drop the money for it. Our destination in Chicago was very
near O'Hare airport, so for us, the most direct route was to
take I-80/94 to I-294. The guidance system would have had us
going downtown and out I-90! OK, so we would have saved the
$3.20 in tolls.

On the way back we saw a building with a number of LGCs out
in front, and a lonely and lowly Midget. We decided that we
had to investigate. (Also, one of the LGCs was a BMW 2002
round light, and my buddy is restoring one of those). The
garage specializes in German and Italian cars, but he does
work on British as well. He had a Spit inside that he was
about to start a restoration on, and had several boxes of
parts for it in the office. He also had a couple of Jags
that he was working on. Not mentioning the German cars he
was in the process of restoring.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell