Hot differential??

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot differential??
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:05:22 -0400
Hello all,

I recently swapped the howling differential in my Spit for the one from my
parts car - seem to have lucked out - the replacement makes no noise at
all, and no nasty clunks. However, today I had to adjust the rear brakes,
and noticed that after driving for 45 minutes or so, the differential was
very warm - not quite uncomfortable to touch. Was a 60 degree day. Is this
normal? I can't say I have ever touched a differential immediately after
driving, but it seemed kind of warm to me. Definitely full of oil too
(Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube) - I checked the level just to be safe.

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine
Freddy the Spit