Re: Hot differential??

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Hot differential??
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:34:04 -0400
Kevin,

How hot, that's the question. "Not quite uncomfortably hot" isn't very
informative. Especially coming from someone who lives in Maine:>

See if you can get an actual reading. Some kind of stick-on strip should
do, or you could stick a thermometer bulb into the oil through the oil
fill hole, being careful not to break the bulb! 30 - 40 degrees F above
ambient fully warmed up is probably reasonable, since there's a lot of
sliding contact in there. 60 or more probably isn't (extrapolate to
those 100 degree days!), and might indicate a bad bearing. Is there a
hot spot at the front, or on either side?

Bill Kelly