Trans and clutch

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trans and clutch
From: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:12:32 -0600
Anyone know what the differences are between the early three rail
transmissions (Mk 1,2,3) and the later three rail ones(1971 to 1974)?  I
know that the ratio of first gear is slightly different (3.75 compared to
3.50) and that first gear has a syncro.  I've also heard that the rear
flange has a larger bolt pattern.  Any other differences? If I change the
rear flange to an earlier one, can I use it in a Mk 1 car? Anything else
need to be changed?

Also, is it worth changing to the diaphragm type pressure plate and get rid
of the old coil spring style?  Do they use the same flywheel? Anyother parts
need to change as well?
TIA
MikeC