Mk IV is legal again

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Mk IV is legal again
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:17:37 -0600
I'd just like to inform the listers that Kimbell the Fugitive is now
entirely legitimate, legal and exonerated.

You may remember the thread  "Hypothetical Question" sometime last year
about registering a stolen car.....  Well, today I finally got the Out
of Privince/Write Off inspection done, and got my 1971 MK IV legally
registered with its own commission number - FK 5061L.

It has been on the road as a 1974 1500 with different comm number for a
couple of years.  But when I realized it had the wrong commission number
for a MK IV (FM....instead of FK....) I contacted BMIHT and got its
original.  Only to find that it had been "written off" after being
stolen in in British Columbia in 1986.  My 18 year old son bought it in
1991, but died before getting it roadworthy and I had left it for quite
a number of years.

After finding out its "written off" status, I had it viewed by an RCMP
member of the Auto Theft Unit, and he contacted the insurance company.
I paid them a nominal sum to obtain legal rights to it.  Only because
the theft was so long ago (13 years), and the remains of the car were
worth so little  by the time the RCMP viewed it was I able to get the
insurance company to sell it to me for a reasonable price.

    Now I can drive it, pretty well restored, proud of its early comm
number, actually made December 31, 1970 according to BMIHT.  And tonight
with the temperature at 17C my wife and I went to DQ just to buy an ice
cream in celebration.

Now Kimbell the Fugitive needs a new name!
Cheers, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,
Calgary, Canada