RE: Headlites on

To: "'Simmons, Reid W'" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Headlites on
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:55:44 -0400
Andrew, Reid, et. al.,

There is currently _no_ law requiring Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
in the US. It has been a requirement in Canada since the late '80s.
It has also been required, or was required at one time, in one of
the Scandinavian countries. I believe it was Sweden, in the mid-'70s.

GM started put DRLs on some of their cars in about 1995-6. They
now put it on all their products. DRLs are available on nearly all
vehicles, however some manufacturers charge extra. GM does, or did,
offer a retrofit kit, but it was for GM cars only.

It is possible to put DRLs on our LBCs, but IMHO, it is not worth
the cost. JC Whitney used to offer an after-market headlamp on
warning buzzer that tied the headlamp, ignition and door lamp switches
together to remind you about the lights. This would, if it is still
available, make more sense to me. BTW, headlamps on are not going to
keep you from getting run over when the stupid drivers don't look in
their mirrors in the first place. How else do you run into a full size
pickup? Also, some states, New York is one, require that if your
windshield wipers are on, your headlamps must also be on. That is a
very good idea, whether in your LBC or LAC/T (large American car/truck).

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell
mailto:dmitchel@ismi.net