clutch pivot pin

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch pivot pin
From: david <engstrom@tstonramp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:43:22 -0700
      I thought I had rigged my clutch pivot pin so that it could not travel
and drop out but it did. I went to the local hardware store and bought
a few 5/16 inch bolts with nuts to see which would work best. While
there I ran accross a solid 5/16 inch pin (for a trailer hitch?) that
was about 3.5 inches long. The pin has a number of cross drilled holes
that will take a cotter pin and one end has a flat cap or ridge on it
(sort  of like a regular nail but of good thickness). It looked too
short but I bought it anyway (I think it was 3.5 inches long). The bolts
seemed OK but I could not put the nuts all the way on because of
clearance problems so I tried the pin. It fits down into the recess in
the bellhousing perfectly but cannot drop through because of the wider
diameter top ridge and just enough sticks out the bottom to put in a
cotter pin so it can't go out from above. I think it's perfect for the
job. Just thought I'd throw this back to the list for whatever it is
worth since everyone has been so helpful to me.

David