Tranny Questions???

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny Questions???
From: "N.A. Campiglia III" <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:40:02 -0500
Listers,

Once again I journey to the Great and All Knowing List for help..

I'm currently installing the '79 transmission in to my wife's '67..  I
bought this tranny second hand, it looks to be in good shape so far.  While
checking it over tonight I noticed the front main output shaft moves in and
out (Front to back) in the tranny casing (this is without the bellhousing,
which will come into the story soon) along with the bearing.  It moves
approx 1/2" out then slides back in as far as the circlip.  I looked inside
the casing and I see nothing to keep it from moving as such.  It will only
move out to a point and then it stops.  Is this normal for the '79 Single
Rail tranny??  Is this because the bellhousing is not in place??
I notice in the catalog a "Front Cover", am I missing this??

Thanks in advance for the help..

Oh yea...  anyone have a bellhousing for said '79 tranny they need to get
rid of??  I didn't think I would need it!!

Nick
N.A. Campiglia III
Abilene, TX
'67 Spitfire MKIII