Re: Tranny Questions???

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny Questions???
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:24:05 -0400
"N.A. Campiglia III" wrote:
> bought this tranny second hand, it looks to be in good shape so far.  While
> checking it over tonight I noticed the front main output shaft moves in and
> out (Front to back) in the tranny casing

Hmm, that ain't right.  You're getting 1/2" of motion?  And
you also said "along with the bearing."  So I'm confused:

If the shaft and bearing are moving in & out of the case
together, then either the outer diameter of the ballrace is
too small, or the opening in the gear case is worn too
large.  If you're lucky, the wrong ball bearing was fitted.
If you're unlucky, the case is shot.

If the shaft is moving in & out of the bearing... well I
don't see how you could get 1/2" of motion... unless perhaps
your input gear is worn down to a nub.

Open it up and tell us what you find.  The input shaft is a
drive fit into the ballrace, which is itself a drive fit
into the case.  There should be *no* fore-and-aft motion of
either.

--
Douglas Frank  Compaq Computer Corp.    Helpmate, n.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.           A wife, or