Trunk locking mechanism

To: Spitfire Discussion Group <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trunk locking mechanism
From: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:29:12 -0700
Spitlist:

I need some help on the trunk locking mechanism on my '70 Mk III.  Back
in January when the car was getting repainted I sent a message to the
list and got some good advice that I ultimately didn't need at the time
but might now.  The dilemma is this:

I bought the car in '75.  Since that time the locking mechanism in the
trunk handle had been frozen in place and would not move.  I always
wondered if I had the right key. When I pulled the handle I noticed that
it had a number stamped on it that was same as the number on the key.
At that time I posted to the list and got several very helpful replies.
However, I took the handle to a locksmith and they got the key and
barrel working quite perfectly so I thought I had accomplished yet
another great step forward.

When I got the car back installed the trunk handle and didn't think
about it again because it was fixed, right?  I went to use it for the
first time the other day and, yeah, the barrel turns great in the handle
but it doesn't lock at all.  I then pull the handle to inspect and came
to the realization that there is no way that the barrel by itself could
lock the handle, daaa...  I don't know what I was thinking when I put it
back on the car.

To make a long story short I think I have figured out how this thing
works, but since I don't have one that works I can't be sure.  It
appears that when you turn the barrel in the handle it is supposed to
turn some sort of cam mechanism at the end of it and move a small metal
bar (with a notch in it) up to lock the handle.  My barrel is missing
this cam mechanism so I don't really know for sure.  Can someone confirm
this for me, and if possible, direct me to where I might be able to
obtain this piece?

Thanks,

Ron St. John