Crankcase venting

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankcase venting
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:08:45 -0400
Hello all,

I attacked the issue of crankcase venting over the weekend. I had bought
one of Waterloo Drivetrain's (http://www.waterloo-dtr.com/p383.html) nifty
catch tank/vents. I also made up a blanking plate for the hole for the
mechanical fuel pump with a hose barb fitted. Routed the hoses from the
valve cover and the new vent to a T and then to the catch tank. Works like
a charm, I no longer have oil leaking from the front seals - yeah!

I do have a question though, what is the best location for the catch tank?
I mounted it to the firewall on one of the mounting brackets for the long
missing valences, but I am getting a good oil fume smell inside. My
firewall is less than perfectly sealed. I have the 79-80 style tilted
forward radiator, I was thinking that mounting it to the side of the shroud
up front would increase the chances of fumes going under the car rather
than in it.

Thoughts?

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine