76 Spit trouble - Need help

To: Spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 76 Spit trouble - Need help
From: Mike Ginter <mginter@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 16:37:27 -0600
I cannot get my 76 Spit to idle well for anything.  It misses and
sputters.  It has had a full tune up, and at 2ATDC to 16 BTDC, it still
will not idle smooth.  Compression is good (110, 110, 113, 113), and I
did a wholesale swap of carbs from my 79 which runs rock solid.  The 76
ran the same and the 79 ran just fine with the carb from the 76.  I'm
suspecting the distributor at this point.  I have yet to swap them, but
maybe on Tuesday when the sun comes back out (the 79 is outside).  I
this why everyone puts in a pertronix?  My 79 has the CEI ignition with
the external amplifier and it couldn't run better than it does, so this
is new to me.  Anyone have any ideas here?

Mike