Distributor advance/retard -- what gives?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor advance/retard -- what gives?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:24:46 -0700
I need some guidance from those of you who know what in the heck you're
doing better than I do.  I'm enrolled in the "learn as you go" program.

I've been a bit disappointed with the general lack of performance I've been
getting out of my high compression 1296 engine.  I was out doing a little
fiddling around in the garage today and decided to lube the distributor,
check the air cleaner on the Weber DGV and see what's what.

I discovered that by turning the advance/retard knob attached to the
distributor shaft, I could either really mess up -- or greatly enhance (!)
my performance.  I'm assuming that turning the adjuster advances and counter
clockwise retards, but I'm really not sure what all this means or what is
going on exactly -- and I'd like to.

The car seemed to be idling smoother with the knob turned fully clockwise
(it had been about 5 clicks down from the top).  In taking Mrs. Jones for a
spin around the neighborhood, I perceived what I'm guessing to be about a
20% increase in performance!

Is having this knob advanced all the way going to adversely effect my engine
in the long run?  Can someone please explain to me on layman's terms what I
have just done?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego