Re: RE: Single rail vs three rail - what's the diff?

To: DeWetC1@sapo.co.za
Subject: Re: RE: Single rail vs three rail - what's the diff?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 09:54:15 -0400
For what this all may end up costing you, you might want to consider a 5 speed
conversion instead.  There's been a running thread on this in the spridgets
group by a number of the members, discussing the pro's and con's of several of
the conversion kits and their experiences.  One of the kits comes out of your
area as I recall.  These are almost all for the 1500 engine.  The rear engine
plate stayed the same for all the engines though, so I think (don't know for
sure) that you could fit up to any of the Spitfire engines, with possibly just
a bit of machining the input shaft.

If you're not on the spridgets@autox.team.net I'd suggest joining so you can
watch the conversation and ask questions.  Go back through the archives as
well.  It's been fascinating to watch.

I have no idea why there are so many conversions for the spridgets, and not for
the Spitfires.  Just doesn't seem to be that much interest from the Spitfire
folks though.

If your heart is set on a true overdrive though, you might also want to
consider buying through one of the members of this group.  Gives you more
coverage to swap meets and such.  It'd be a gamble on both parties, but it
could work for you.  I'll be going to a show/swap meet on the 25th of this
month.  Other folks will be going to other swap meets.  If you wanted to do a
gamble with some of us, or all of us, it could work.  Some sort of price
offering by you for a trans or trans & overdrive.  Then, if one of us found
one, we could buy it, you pay us for it, and pay the shipping costs of getting
it to you.  None of us could guarantee a transmission we found at a swap meet,
but it's worth considering.