Re: Single rail vs three rail - what's the diff?

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: Single rail vs three rail - what's the diff?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 20:25:12 -0700
Hi Graham,

The responses to my original question have all been very interesting.  Lots
of differing opinions.  While I obviously dig the potential that the single
rail gearbox is perhaps more robust, what you had to say about the "short"
and "long" throw characteristics concerns me slightly.

A. Who wants a longer throw when shifting?

B. Is the longer throw from the single rail gearbox going to interfere with
my radio buttons?

The reason I ask is that another list member -- a local gent for me -- Ken
C. was lamenting one day that his gearshifter kept bumping into his radio
buttons whenever he threw it into either first or third (can't remember
which).  I think such a thing (especially after all I've gone through with
fitting the radio) might drive me nuts.

You've given me more to chew on, here...

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!