RE: Shocking shifting

To: Bill Miller <millerb@netusa1.net>, Chip Kigar <ckigar@sound.net>,
Subject: RE: Shocking shifting
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:10:34 -0700 (PDT)
Actually, the solenoid coil can produce a shock when
the current is interrupted. I'm not advising anyone to
actually do this, but if you touch the horn terminals
while the horn button is pushed, you will feel what I
mean!
Even though there is only 12V on the coil, when the
current is interrupted, the magnetic field in the
winding collapses very quickly, causing a high induced
EMF, ie high voltage, sometimes 200-300 Volts.

An intermittent switch, or O/D wiring touching the
gearshift lever could cause this condition.

Shocking,isn't it?

Carter

--- Bill Miller <millerb@netusa1.net> wrote:

> Don't look for a frayed OD wire....  You can't get
> shocked from 12VDC (go
> touch the two battery terminals with your hands!)

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com