Re: The clutch saga continues, HELP!!!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The clutch saga continues, HELP!!!
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:30:32 EDT
In a message dated 6/4/00 4:54:58 PM EST, jcullum@chorus.net writes:

> Started it up to take it for a quick spin to try out the new clutch
>  and I cannot get it into gear!!! When the clutch is depressed it doesn't
>  seem to be disengaging. There is good pedal pressure, the system is fully
>  bled. It feels like it is disengaging but it apparently isn't. What could
>  this be??? I rebuilt the slave while the trans was out as well. all of the
>  rubber seal were mushy, but the cylinder was smooth and clean. Everything
>  slid back together nicely. What could the problem be??????

Some thoughts:

Any chance that the clutch disc was put in backwards?
Did you slide the disc up and down the input shaft prior to reassembly to
check for burrs or rough spots that could cause it to hang up?
How is the pivot pin for the throwout bearing housing?  If that breaks or
falls out, you will get these symptoms.
Did you carefully compare the old parts with the new ones?  It seems to be
getting more common that parts that superficially appear to be correct, but
are subtly (and critically) wrong are being supplied.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire