RE: The clutch saga continues, HELP!!!

To: "Spitfires List Server (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The clutch saga continues, HELP!!!
From: "Chris Sharp" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:55:06 -0400
Jason-

Do you have the original coil-spring clutch plate?  If so, you could have
the same problem I had when I started working on my '64.  My PO had toyed
with the pivot point nuts and used washers shim the pressure plate so it
could be used.  Although you have to separate the trany from the engine,
it's a fairly easy fix.

--  Ensure the clutch slave cylinder is fully compressed and the slave
cylinder push rod is seated.
--  Placing a straight edge (board, carpenters level, etc) across the bell
housing, measure the distance from the clutch release bearing to the
straight edge parallel to the transmission input shaft.  I can't recall the
exact dimension but ISTR that it was around three inches.
--  Place straight edge across the clutch throwout disk and measure the
distance from the engine back plate to the straight edge.  Be sure to check
the measurement on both sides of the clutch because this disk might not be
perfectly parallel to the backplate.
-- Loosen the nut retainers with a screwdriver and adjust the pivot point
nuts until the desired height is attained.  Again, check the measurements on
both sides of the clutch at equal distances from the center.  They should be
very close to the same distance.
-- I couldn't find any specs on what the tolerance should be.  I adjusted
mine so that the average measurement of both sides of the clutch throw out
disk height equaled the measurement I found on the transmission, less 1/8"
to allow for clutch wear.
-- So far, it seems to work well.  I've put ~200 miles on the car since
making this adjustment.

Hope this helps

Chris