RE: Negative/Positive Camber

To: "Aidan Corcoran" <spitfire@acquirer.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Negative/Positive Camber
From: Michael Nugent <nugentmd@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:41:47 -0400 (EDT)
That's the nature of swing axles - you've probably seen old VW bugs with the
same properties.  When unweighted (as in on a lift or while getting air),
swing axle cars demonstrate severe positive camber \-o-/ and when the body
is "lowered" (typically through weaker than normal rear sping or too much
weight being carried) they demonstrate negative camber /-o-\.  Negative
camber is the hot setup for autocrossing (2 degrees negative is not
uncommon).

The angle between your wheel and its axle is always 90 degrees, so that
can't be changed - the wheel tilts because the axle is moving up or down at
the end.  At just the right weight (for your rear spring), the tires will be
straight up and down (zero camber).

Yours is negative while driving (not a bad thing as long as it's not too
severe), and it would be expected to be more negative with you and a
passenger than with you alone.  If it really bugs you, you have only two
choices:  a stiffer spring or less weight.

Mike
Renton, WA
'73 GT6 + '68 Spitfire becoming Spitfire 6 and GT4!