UNLEADED PETROL- What's the Fuss??

To: "Spifires Autox Team" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: UNLEADED PETROL- What's the Fuss??
From: "BILL McDEVITT" <wmmk1@informatics.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:36:48 -0500
Just recieved my new copy of Rimmer Bros. Spitfire
parts catalog and found an article with the above
caption. It went on as follows:
UNLEADED FUEL-- CONSIDER YOUR OPTIONS.
Can my car run on unleaded fuel?  Yes, when leaded
fuel becomes scarce (England) there will be fuel additives
available. Either pre-mixed at the pump or as a "squirt
in your tank" from a bottle.
What if I just put in unleaded anyway??  There is a school
of thought that converting to unleaded is as simple as
putting it in the fuel tank!  This may be an option if you
are prepared to monitor any valve seat recession or valve guide wear and
simply attend to any problem if and when it occurs. This is fine except that
if failure occurs suddenly
(broken valve, disintegrated seat etc) then more damage will occur to the
rest of the engine - the choice is yours!!
I don't want to use additives!!  Ok, then we would advise
you to convert your engine!!
The above was copied from page 9 of the Rimmers catalog.
I stopped at a station with really old gas pumps and on
the pump was this warning label attached: "DO NOT USE
IN VEHICLES MADE PRIOR TO 1975". So I will continue to
use the additive as I have done for 12 years.  Bill