Regarding "what the hell"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Regarding "what the hell"
From: SMatson802@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:21:49 EDT
Thanks for all of the good suggestions.  All had at least a shred of
plausibility.
I called the guy in VT from whom I buy most of my parts and he suggested
looking at the carb diaphragm.   Pulled the top off the carb and, voila,
before my very eyes I see a gaping tear about an inch long in the diaphragm.
It has probably had a little pin hole all along.  That may also explain why
it has always pretty much maxed out at about 5500 rpm.
At any rate, I'll let you know if the replacement actually fixes the problem.
Anyone know how tough it will be to replace the thing.  It doesn't look to
bad from what I could see.
Thanks again,
SteveM