Spitfire rebuild in a hurry and I am moving

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire rebuild in a hurry and I am moving
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:35:07 -0400
Well,  Fred Thomas was kind enough to let me know I need to update everyone
on the spitfire in a hurry project.  Last anyone heard I had to disassemble
the top end of the engine because the valve seals the machine shop put onto
it disintegrated.  Well the machine shop did me right and admitted they did
it wrong (too big of seals hitting the spring retainers)  well they fixed it
and bought me a Fel-Pro gasket set for free.  A-1 work, in fact it was the
owner who redid the machine work for me.

The engine is back together and is running quite well, hell of a lot of
power.  Still needs some tuning. I started driving the car the past weekend
and despite a half dozen myriad of problems (getting things like lights and
wipers to work) as well as fighting a tire that is rubbing the fender.  The
car is doing ok.  I have not painted the doors, trunklid, or bonnet yet.
That will be done in a couple of weeks.  in the meantime I borrowed some old
sheet metal from a friend so I could drive the car around.  Causes a lot of
rattles.  But I will eliminate one at a time.  Got most of the Tail lamps
working yesterday.  Next headlamps would be nice.

As you might of noticed (or might not of cared) I dropped off the list for
about a week and a half.  I traveled up to Ohio for a job interview.  To
make a long story around July 14th I will be moving to Ohio as I will start
work the middle of August at Intellinitecs Corporation in Columbus Ohio
providing network technical support.  Seven years active duty Navy was good,
but it is time to move on (and up in pay  :^)  ).

More particulars to come on the spit and all the problems I am having there.

Patrick