Dash restoration

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dash restoration
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2000 08:39:20 -0500
What is the best approach to dash restoration?

I am not looking to spend any more money than I can avoid on this - a pot of
 varnish or whatever, a brush, and a sheet of sandpaper is what I'm aiming for.
At the moment the varnish is peeling/cracking at one end (very tempting to pick
 at it like a scab!), plus a small section is a bit discoloured where a P.O.
 thought it would be nice to put a strip of dymo tape with the tyre pressures
 on (how hard are they to remember?  Or even look up in the manual?)

My idea is to sand the old varnish off, back to a smooth finish on the wood,
 then apply a few coats of varnish.  Good plan?  Should I use a clear varnish,
 or one with a bit of colour in it (to get a more-or-less stock looking
 finish)?  How many coats, how much sanding?  What grade sandpaper?  Is it OK
 to use my electric orbital sander, or do I really need to do this the hard
 way?

Richard and Daffy (once I've done the dash the interior will look great... if I
 replace the seat covers, arm rest cover, door panels...)