Re: Electrical Tune Up & Electronic Ignition

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Electrical Tune Up & Electronic Ignition
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
Back in the old days, we used an aftermarket
Capacitive Discharge Ignition on the racecar. It was
called Delta Mk 10. It was good for 8000+ RPM.

I don't think the electronic ignition on later Spits
was up to the task, I've heard that the stock GM HEI
is not good for high RPM use, most racers replace or
upgrade it.

Though it still used the stock mechanical points as a
trigger, the current was very low, maybe 100 mA.

I later ran the CDI unit on my street car for several
years. I had to replace the points when the rubbing
block wore down at 30K miles. I also had to regap the
plugs at 60K, they had opened up to .120".

Carter Shore