Re: Electrical Tune Up & Electronic Ignition

To: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>,
Subject: Re: Electrical Tune Up & Electronic Ignition
From: Michael Nugent <nugentmd@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:12:48 -0400 (EDT)
No experience with those parts on a Triumph, but I have both the Pertronix
and Crane system (HI-6 with PS-91 coil) on my Porsche 914 and I'd expect
similar effects.

The Pertronix was added for a single purpose: to eliminate points adjustment
and replacement.  It does its job - replace the points and forget it - but
no noticeable change in performance, etc.

The Crane CD ignition system was added to eliminate missing because in a 2.5
liter four-banger, a misfire shakes the whole car.  Every RPM fires now, and
it starts IMMEDIATELY every time, but again, no noticeable change in
performance (over the performance of a non-missing engine).

If you have a problem, the upgrade will fix it, but if everything's already
fine, you won't notice any difference with these parts.

Mike - http://home1.gte.net/nugentmd/spitfiresix.htm
Renton, WA