Re: Hand brake wearing hole in thumb

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Hand brake wearing hole in thumb
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:03:55 +0100
Jeff wrote:

> What's the deal with my Spitfire hand brake?  There's a little piece of
> metal rod that sticks out of the center of the set button.  Is the button
> just worn through?  I seem to recall my original '67 Mk3 having the same
> thing...

I remember it well. The same thing had happened on Baby Blue and I wanted to
get it repaired/replaced during the rebuild but was told the button was made
of that rare & magical stuff - unobtanium. After some chasing around I
managed to track down a 2nd hand replacement handbrake lever but when it
arrived it turned out to be the reg'lar type, not the fly-off. They said
they couldn't transfer just the button bit but managed to make one good one
out of the two but I lost the fly-off action. It's very nice not to have a
semi-permanent dent in my thumb any more but that's still on my 'one day'
list, to get the lever reverted to how it should be.

I hope you have better luck in repairing/replacing Mrs Jones' button. ;-D

Suzie

PS. It was also fun seeing the big macho mechanic type guys struggling to
get the hand-brake off and trying to be so nonchalant about it when they
couldn't figure it out. A guy couldn't *possibly* ask a girl how it worked!