Re: Wiper Motor removal?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Wiper Motor removal?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:44:05 -0400
At 03:16 PM 6/25/00 -0700, Jeff McNeal wrote:

>One of the PO's installed what I assume is probably a replacement wiper
>motor to the engine bay shelf that was painted an ugly, flat, light blue.
>Why they would do that is beyond me, but I'd like to remove the whole thing
>and restore it to closer to stock in appearance.  Should be a fun cosmetic
>restoral.  The wiper motor works just fine and I'd like to keep it that
>way -- just looking for some pointers on the best way to remove the whole
>unit without messing it up from anyone who has removed and replaced one of
>these things.

Jeff,

   It's a very simple process:

   a. Remove the wiper arms /w blades from the wiper xmissions.
   b. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the mounting bracket to the firewall.
   c. Disconnect the electrical connector.
   d. Disconnect the large nut on the end of the wiper motor assembly.
      It slides over the metal tube going into the firewall.
   e. Lift the wiper motor assembly off the firewall and pull it in a
      streight line with the metal tube away from the firewall.  This will
      pull the worm lead wire out with the motor.

Now you can disassemble the wiper motor.  Be careful if you disassemble the
the round motor part.  You can remove the round motor cover by removing the
2 long bolts, then with draw the cover from the armature.  It is a bit tricky
to get the brushes pulled back so you can reinsert the armature.  If you
want to remove the armature you will have to disassemble the entire wheel
housing assembly.

For more info. on both the 1 and 2 speed wiper motors, check out the articles
on my Morgan web page under "Restoration articles", General - Electrical-
wiper motors.

Hope this helps.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan