trans ??

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: trans ??
From: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:19:09 -0600
Does anyone have a mainshaft for an early non-syncro first gear transmission
or a good working complete transmission they are looking to sell?   I took
it apart to see why it is grinding lightly into second and fourth gear.  It
looks like the roller bearing that is pressed into the rear of the input
shaft failed and has messed up the front of the mainshaft.  Could this be
why it was grinding?  If not what would cause it to grinding in 2nd and 4th?
All the other parts including the syncros look like they are in very good
shape.  What other parts are generally replaced in a trans rebuild? I've got
a rebuilt trans in the car now that is going back for the second time and is
staying there this time so I want to rebuild the original instead of
replacing it.
Thanks
MikeC