Re: Replacement Tops

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Replacement Tops
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:10:34 -0400
Simmons, Reid W said:
> Good question.  I will be in the market for a new top soon (the original
has
> lasted me 21 years!) and I am curious to know how the ones currently
> available (Amco, Corbeau, Robbins, etc.) stack up to the original.  My
> original top has very good sealing (rain proofing) around the windshield
and
> side windows.  How about the aftermarket ones?  The sad part about my
> present top is that it is still in excellent condition - it's just the
> plastic windows that have turned brown and hardened.
>
> Reid
> '79 Spitfire (original owner)
Have you thought about putting in new windows? I have done this twice before
on my TR4. The marine top shops that do covers and tops for boats can do
this. They have a very heavy clear material for the windows. I have seen
some replacements where the old material (except for some to serve as a
flange) is cut out and the new material sealed with adhesive to the flange.
The last time mine was done, the original window was stitched between two
lips of top material. The shop stitched in the new window...using the old
stitch holes so as not to add to the holes in the top. That was 6 to 8 eight
years ago and the top is still keeping out the rain!

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /