RE: Replacement Tops

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Subject: RE: Replacement Tops
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:32:07 -0400
At 11:02 AM 06/26/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Good question.  I will be in the market for a new top soon (the original has
>lasted me 21 years!) and I am curious to know how the ones currently
>available (Amco, Corbeau, Robbins, etc.) stack up to the original.  My
>original top has very good sealing (rain proofing) around the windshield and
>side windows.  How about the aftermarket ones?  The sad part about my
>present top is that it is still in excellent condition - it's just the
>plastic windows that have turned brown and hardened.
>
>Reid
>'79 Spitfire (original owner)

Reid,

FWIW the ones that Moss sells (anyone know the brand?  unmarked box) has
rather poor sealing around the side windows.  Also mine was made wrong as
far as the roof bows -- the flaps don't line up to one of the bows so they
cannot be snapped.

I ended up removing the metal stiffeners from the original equipment top
(rear of the side windows) and installed them in the new one.  As several
have said, the top isn't erect enough for me to care vewry much about the
fit, but if I ever replace it again I won't buy the Moss top.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA