Grendel

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Grendel
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:52:27 -0700
Richard;

Beowulf is actually from Scandinavian mythology but is the oldest surviving
epic in English Literature.  My first experience with it was in an English
Lit class in college and as I recall the timeframe (of Beowulf, NOT my
college days OK!) was in the 6th century AD.

The reason I have not name my beloved Spitfire until now was because I
didn't know I was supposed to.  :-)

This is not the first time I used the name Grendel.  I had a really great
cat that I named Grendel who lived to be 21 human years old.  I therefore
reasoned that if I name my Spitfire the same It should last me at least
another 21 years.  Besides I thinks the name sounds neat and was/is fitting
to both the cat and the car.

BTW How many people on the list are familiar with the Allard?  No not
Mallard, that's a duck, the Allard is a car.  There was a cute story about
one named "Grendel" in Automobile Quarterly about 25-30 years ago.  That
Grendel also seemed to have a "personality" very similar to both my cat and
my car.

Oh yeah, Grendel turned 21 on June 21st.  Now that she is of legal drinking
age I have to be careful that she doesn't become a "gasoholic". :-)

Reid & Grendel
'79 Spitfire (original owner)