irrational temperature gauge

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: irrational temperature gauge
From: SMatson802@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:20:02 EDT
My '71 spit has strange goings on with the temp gauge.  It stays in the very
lowest very small section of the coolest area most of the time.
Occasionally, it goes higher but rarely and then only to about the 1/3 point.
 I have stopped and opened the hood and it certainly does not seem to be
running hot.  I can put my hand on the upper hose and can touch the top of
the radiator, although I don't want to linger.  This happend today for
instance and it was humid, in the 90's and driving in Boston traffic.
Even if the thermostat was stuck open, I would think that it would run hotter
than the 1/3 point on a hot day.  When I was on the expressway cruising at
about 3500 rpm plus, it was usually in the lowest area.
Any ideas, he asks fully expecting many creative thoughts?
Steve M