76 Spitfire for Sale

To: Spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 76 Spitfire for Sale
From: Mike Ginter <mginter@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:02:07 -0600
I'm am selling my 76 Spitfire.  I thought I would offer it to the list
first.  I will put it in the local papers this weekend.  I purchased it
from Peter Siposs back in October of 99.  I've included the original
post from Peter at the bottom of this email.  I also left the link to
his url as it is still functional.  I hope he doesn't mind, as he did a
fine job creating it.  I believe this car to be extremely reliable as I
drove it from L.A. through the Mojave Desert and over the Rocky
Mountains to Denver with a juddering, grabbing clutch and non-functional
O.D. without incident.  I let the car sit in the garage for 5 months
this winter to punish it.  It now runs extremely well.  Extensive work
has been performed, and all of my restoration money for my 73 and 79 is
tied up in the 76.  Time to sell and move on to the next project.

The details:
Replaced clutch disk, pressure plate, T.O. bearing and resurfaced
flywheel.
Fixed engine backing plate bolt that had backed out and was hitting the
back side of the flywheel.
Installed a new ABS tranny cover insulated and sealed.
Installed new thermostat, used water pump and fan clutch.
Adjusted water choke so that it actually works now.
Complete tune-up (cap, rotor, plugs, Lucas wires, air filter, oil &
filter change
Passed Colorado emissions with flying colors.
Had VIN number that was incorrect on California title corrected on the
new CO. title.  The car is actually a 76 CA car but is titled as a
1977.  (build date 10/76 and various parts positively ID as 76).
Inlet pipe to muffler (BL original part!) welded after a chunk of the
catalytic converter became lodged in the muffler inlet and back pressure
at the joint caused it to split completely.  Cat inspection revealed it
is empty, but car still passed emissions.

As Peter stated in his original sale email, the car does look
fantastic.  A close inspection of the paint though reveals the not so
great prep work.  Most people don't even notice.
There is a small hole in the left side floor pan just in front of the
crossmember in front of the drivers seat.  Easily repaired, I might even
get it done myself before the sale.
The horn mechanism (spring, etc...) in the steering wheel needs repair.
The OverDrive only functions when the gearbox is cold.  As soon as the
gear oil heats up, it quits working under a load.  I have done
everything that can possibly be done short of removing the OD.   The
details:
Swapped the solenoid with a known good unit.
Serviced the all filters and seals (o-rings) that were accessible
without removing the OD itself.
Tried 30wt motor oil, 190/140wt gear oil and 90 wt gear oil in an
attempt to flush the box in the event someone put synthetic in it at
some point.
None of these helped.  The same symptoms prevail.  I don't want to
remove the OD to replace the internal hydraulic cylinders.  I believe
the OD clutch linings are good or the unit would not work at all.

It's a very nice, solid reliable great looking car.  Currently located
in Denver Colorado.  $4500 obo.

Mike
73, 76 and 79 1500
As well as other more mundane vehicles.