RE: clutch master

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clutch master
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:43:08 -0700
I agree that tearing out the tranny cover is no fun.  I had to do it twice
then on the third time I figured I'd try to get at it from below.  After
putting the car up on ramps I was able to open the bleeder valve on the
slave cylinder from below.  Granted, it was a tight fit and I have scrawny
little fingers, but it was MUCH easier than taking off the tranny cover.  If
I did it again I think I'd get one of those flexible shaft screw drivers
with a socket attachement end so I could open the bleeder valve easier than
trying to get a wrench up there and having very little room to move it once
you do get it around the bleeder nut.

As to the leak itself, it seems like the new rubber gasket on the end of the
pistion shouldn't be leaking (I rebuilt my master and slave cylinders and
the new rubber held fine).  If it's leaking from the master cylinder I think
you get a lot of fluid down the clutch pedal and it ends up on the floor at
your feet.  Maybe since it's under the car it's coming from somewhere else.
Maybe it's coming from where the pipe connects to the cylinder (although
that may end up at your feet too).

Bob Bollinger
79 Spit