Re: Back-up lamp wiring access ?

To: jmcneal@ohms.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back-up lamp wiring access ?
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:02:15 +0100

Jeff,

I'm speaking from the point of view of my 1500 now, so I don't know how
different this will be to your car.  My lamps do not have a ground wire, they
simply ground through the lighting assembly.  When I've had similar problems in
the past, I've usually been able to fix them by taking some coarse sandpaper and
rubbing down all the components that form the ground (inside of the bulb holder,
"legs" of the bulb holder, the area of the lighting assembly where the bulb
holder sits, etc.)

Having said that, I did once find one that I couldn't fix this way (a rear
indicator).  I ordered a new bulb holder (I think it was from John Kippings, but
wouldn't swear to it) which did have connections for a ground wire.  (Very
inconvenient - I had to find another ground wire and splice it to connect it.)
If the bulb holders you've got have two electrical connections on them, it could
be that this is what you're looking at.   If it seems to be a wire that's the
problem, you might need to cut out and replace a section of that wire.

The boot that you refer to - if it's on the bult holder, then yes it does pop
off easily.  But I suspect you're looking at something different which I don't
have on my car, because the thing I'm thinking of is so simple that I shouldn't
think you'd need to ask...

Dean