Re: Rear differentials

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, hamilton@ptd.net
Subject: Re: Rear differentials
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:01:39 -0400
The spring perch is different.  Either the swing axle takes six bolts and the
fixed spring four, or vica versa.  I think Barry also mentioned some
differences in the thickness of the ring gear, and some components related to
it on the GT-6 differential of identical gearing.   It seems that way from
flipping through a catalog.  Axle end flanges are idental during those years,
though the driveshaft flanges changed.  Interesting mixed bag with regards to
bearings and such.  You may well find in the archive some comments from Barry
about this and difficulties with switching pumpkins as a result of these
differences.  Seems to me that you can't simply take a GT-6 pumpkin and drop it
into a Spitfire housing, but have to open it up somewhat.