RE: Testing horn.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Testing horn.
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:55:46 -0700
One of my horns was not working so I took it apart, cleaned it, readjusted
it, put it back together and it works fine now.  These rarely go bad on a
permanent basis.  The usual mode of failure is corrosion on the contacts
inside the horn (especially under the adjusting screw).  This is easily
cleaned off.  The whole job took about 10 minutes.  The electro-magnets
inside are wound with fairly heavy gauge wire and burn-out should be a
rarity.

You can test a horn for continuity with an Ohm meter.  Mine showed a
relatively high resistance until I cleaned all the internal contacts.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)