Wiring an ammeter

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiring an ammeter
From: JeffreyLos@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:19:47 EDT
Hello List:
I could use some advice here. I'm wiring an ammeter into my 72 Spit, and
since electrical is definitely not my strongpoint, I want to run it by the
list just to make sure.
The generic instructions say to "disconnect all wires" to the battery post of
the  (in this case) starter solenoid and splice them into a single #10
stranded wire and run that to one post of the ammeter. Then, run another #10
from the other ammeter post back to the battery post of the starter solenoid.
In effect, this means splicing in the two brown wires from the alternator,
two other brown wires that serve the lights, and another brown wire that goes
to the ignition starter switch. Does splicing five wires into one #10 seem
OK? If so,  wouldn't it be easier to plug these five wires into some kind of
junction box or other connector(like they are now on the battery post)
 instead of splicing them all together? Can the light in the gauge just be
wired back to the lights for the fuel and temperature gauges? Does this
overall approach sound similar to anyone else that has wired an ammeter into
a Spitfire? Thanks for any help on this.
Jeff
Portland, OR.