RE: Wiring an ammeter

To: <JeffreyLos@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Wiring an ammeter
From: gschluge@cstone.net (Greg Schluge)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:27:04 -0400
You need ammeter basics, An ammeter is nothing but a voltage sensing device
that has an internal or external SHUNT or resistor.  There is usually a
fusible link hooked into the plus lead of the battery terminal.  You want to
splice the ammeter terminals into the wire after the fusible link if the car
has one.

How it works is that when current is being drawn from the battery the shunt
provides a negative voltage for the meter showing discharge,  When the
alternator kicks in and starts putting current into the battery, the voltage
supplied to the meter is positive indicating a 'charge'.

Hope this helps.