Re: Flasher on the blink?

To: jmcneal <jmcneal@ohms.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flasher on the blink?
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2000 03:42:36 -0500
Jeff,

Sounds more awkward than a simple dodgy flasher unit.  As far as I understand
 it, the flasher unit is a simple switch in the line for the indicators - with
 the switch closed all lights will light, with it open all lights will be off.
 If the flasher was dodgy I don't think it would be able to light any one light
 (even the dash light) and not the others - although I will admit I don't have
 the wiring diagram in front of me, so I can't be absolutely sure.

When your dash light flashes, does it flash regularly (by which I mean at a
 fixed frequency, not as I believe the word can be used in American to mean
 simply 'normal')?  Or does it come on and off randomly?  I would really need a
 look at the wiring diagram - which I don't have at work today (I must confess
 to having borrowed my wifes car (she's on holiday) due to the appalling
 weather) - but there may be some way for a loose wire to complete the
 connection from live via the flasher and the dash light to earth, without the
 connection being completed via the external lights.  If the connection was
 through the flasher unit I would expect the light to turn on and off much
 faster than usual - flasher units are designed to do this when the current
 through them is lower than usual, to draw your attention to the fact that you
 have a problem, ususally a broken bulb.

So, my first guess would be a loose wire shorting out somewhere.  Good luck, I
 HATE this sort of problem, it can be a nightmare to track down (not wanting to
 depress you at all...)!  Actually, they are not always that bad, they are just
 a pet peeve of mine, since Daffy was riddled with these sorts of things when I
 bought her.

Richard and Daffy (sitting at home, feeling sad, wondering if I don't love her
 any more... sob, sob... second day in a row I chose not to drive her to work
 simply because of the weather...)