Fuel slosh

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel slosh
From: rfm@collectivecomputing.com (Reed)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:41:34 -0700
One thing I've noticed since switching my car to fuel injection
is that it starts to cut out under hard acceleration and/or
cornering when the tank is below about 1/4 full. I assume that
this is less of a problem when you have a carb, because the
float bowls have a reserve of fuel. Have any of you folks
who race/autox spits run into this ?
A friend who's into RC airplanes suggested that I use what they
call a clunk. They put a piece of flex hose on the inlet, with a
weight on the end, so that it hangs in whatever direction the
G-forces are pulling the gas. Sounds cheap and simple to me. My
one concern would be the flex hose getting caught up in the
fuel gauge sender.
Alternatively, I could use a fuel cell (expensive) or a surge tank.
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these approaches ?

BTW, I used the original spitfire tank, with the inlet routed to an
external ~50psi ford electric pump, and the return coming in where the
charcol canister outlet used to be. I use a vented cap to keep the
tank from developing a vacuum.
--
Reed Mideke                  rfm(at)collectivecomputing.com
If that doesn't work:        rfm(at)portalofevil.com