Re: loss of power and poping

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: loss of power and poping
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:52:35 -0400
At 11:23 AM 7/14/00 +0100, T. .R. Dafforn wrote:

>Richard,
>Thanks for all the suggestions, I was just coming to the conclusion that maybe
>should get the car tuned properly. The only trouble being finding a mechanic I
>can
>trust, and who can still remember how to tune twin SUs.

Several years ago I got a set of twin SU HS2s to replace the Stromberg
on my '72.  But I could never get them to run especially well,
so I put the Stromberg back on for inspection, and left it on.

Then I got a Gunsen's Gastester, and it finally gave me the
information I needed to get the SUs to work.  I also added
to sample ports to my headers.  I drilled 1/4" holes in
two of the down pipes, and welded 1/4" nuts over them.
Now I can sample the exhaust of each carb individually.
When I am done, I plug up the ports with a short bolt (and lots
of anti-seize!)

Now the SUs run better then the Stromberg ever did, including at idle,
and they definitely have more power at the high end.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit