Re: Choke conversion

To: "Dummer, Dan" <Dan.Dummer@BestBuy.Com>
Subject: Re: Choke conversion
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:48:46 -0400

In message <F74E89C7EA1DD31186E900805FA7993005205C38@cs02mail.bestbuy.com>you w
rite:

>magical answer... yes you....)   Which brings me back around to my original
>question, can I ditch the water choke (which I don't trust) with a
>mechanical choke ?

 Hi Dan, it sounds like you are not getting gas to the engine.  Have
 you make sure the gas filter and pump is working?  Check the bowl to see
 if you have gas in it.  If the choke is not functioning it will cause the
 car to run rich or flooding the engine.  You should get a strong gas smell
 if the choke is not working properly.

 The water choke is a source of problem for many late model spits.  I use
 to have the same problem on my car running too rich because the water choke
 not working and it did not matter how much I adjust the needle.  Instead
 of buying a custom choke conversion kit for the ZS you can try an universal
 kit from your local parts shope.  JC Whitney sell them for about $6.00, the
 part number is 83KP0840R.

 The universal kit does not fit the ZS exactly, you will have to do some
 filing of the cover that comes with it.  It should take you a couple of
 hours to install the kit.  After I stalled the kit my car ran much better
 and with the correct mixture.  Good luck.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html