Re: Choke conversion

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Choke conversion
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:57:21 -0400
Dan I had very similar problems when I rebuilt my carb on a non-running manual
'76. Used started fluid just like you and it ran on that and stopped.

It was a mixture of timing (you can't set until the engine runs but until it
runs you can't get the light on and set it) and mixture. I had rebuilt the carb
and put it back the way it was originally. Make sure needle is in correctly and
caught on the thread and set it flush or a little bit into the bottom of the
piston ( that was another of my problems - PO did not have needle caught on the
thread and I copied, so it was so over lean it would not get any gas or
adjust). A little rich will always help starting. If you can smell the gas then
you know it's getting fuel. Other problems were vacuum line not correctly
connected (but since you have a '78 less likely problem) as my egr valve was
connected to the distributer vacuum line by PO - wrong! Manual choke opens the
line to disable egr on starting but the distributer is separate! Also my plug
leads were all one out on the distributer (I had assumed PO had them correct!)
Moved them all round one and it started. I found that it was a good idea to use
the timing light to check that all of the leads showed that a spark was getting
to the each of the plugs. I used the timing light when just cranking the engine
to get a rough timing set.

Alan