Truing OE steel wheels

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: Truing OE steel wheels
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:16:59 -0400
Hi all,

My 79 Spitfire is troubled somewhat by vibrations at Interstate speeds.  I
have double-checked the balance of the wheels and they are OK.  I suspect
that the wheels are out of true, out of round, or both, because I can
change the shimmy by moving wheels' position on the car. (I'll be measuring
how much in the next day or so.)

The Bentley manual lists wheel tolerances but doesn't say what to do about
an out of spec piece.

At the VTR Regional someone mentioned that his father, a machinist, had
trued up the wheels on his car.  Has anyone tried this?  What is the best
way (aside from random shots with a BFH)?

TIA,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?"