Re: Truing OE steel wheels

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Truing OE steel wheels
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:30:06 -0400
I'm having the same problem with my '71 ... Three our of four of my wheels
are, as we say, "Out Around"  (Out of round)
I'm a former parts manager at a Canadian Tire shop, so I spent some time one
day and picked the two best wheels (You can watch them on a balancer and
eyeball the wobble pretty well) and put them on the front, and the two
wobbliest at the rear - that helped a lot, but I still have a shake at
around 80km, especially with the top up.
In my town we have a shop that restores aluminum and steel wheels (He's done
up my MGB's Rostyles and a set of Mercedes allys for me) ... a shop like
that can do a SWAG-style straightening, but I'm hunting for another set or 2
of used rims so I can make a good set.

Luke